National 4-H Healthy Living Youth Ambassador Roles and Responsibilities
National 4-H Healthy Living Youth Ambassadors are an asset in accomplishing the goals and outcomes of the National 4-H Healthy Living Mission Mandate. 4-H Youth Ambassadors work closely with the National 4-H Healthy Living Regional Facilitators and are considered an integral part of the National 4-H Healthy Living Management Team.
The National 4-H Healthy Living Management Team consists of staff from 4-H National Headquarters, U.S. Department of Agriculture, National 4-H Council, 4-H Healthy Living Youth Ambassadors, and the 4-H Healthy Living Regional Facilitators. The National Management Team members are responsible for ensuring the 4-H Healthy Living Strategic Framework is implemented and achieved. The Management Team:
- Helps set and achieve the goals in the National 4-H Healthy Living Strategic Framework
- Supports the work of key 4-H Healthy Living components–professional development, programming/curriculum and evaluation — and supports the marketing and web development work at National 4-H Council
- Participates in conference calls and face-to-face meetings, providing valuable feedback and bringing up issues from the states/regions.
- Works closely with 4-H National Headquarters and National 4-H Council to provide support and feedback about the 4-H Healthy Living Mission Mandate work.
- Provides advice and support to the Resource Development team at National 4-H Council as they develop grant proposals, seek funding, and implement programs.
4-H Healthy Living Youth Ambassador
Time Required: 3-5 hours per month minimum requirement
Length of Term: 2 years
Age of applicants: 16-21 by September 1st of year of application
- Participate in 4-H Healthy Living face-to-face meetings at the National 4-H Conference Center in Chevy Chase Maryland. All travel expenses will be covered.
- Participate in regular youth and overall National Management Team conference calls.
- Work with the National 4-H Healthy Regional Coordinators to help plan and support 4-H Healthy Living programs.
- Inform 4-H youth, 4-H volunteers, 4-H educators, University faculty and other interested persons about 4-H Healthy Living opportunities and resources;
- Share program ideas and resources with youth peers that will help strengthen and expand 4-H Healthy Living programs;
- Actively pursue state/local partnerships and networks to expand 4-H Healthy Living programmatic efforts and learning experiences.
- Represent 4-H in a positive light and serve as a youth voice for 4-H Healthy Living.
- Leadership experience in the 4-H program at the County, State and/or National level
- A passion for and active engagement in one of the key areas of 4-H Healthy Living: nutrition, physical activity, alcohol-tobacco-drug intervention, safety or social-emotional health (such as bullying or teen mental health)
- An interest in sharing knowledge to enhance youth educational experiences;
- Excellent social media skills
- Ability to work with county/local/community and state level professionals to share resources and opportunities;
- The ability to communicate effectively with 4-H Healthy Living leaders, volunteers, and funders
- A willingness to promote the 4-H Healthy Living Strategic Framework.
- Enhance and promote 4-H Healthy Living educational experiences
- Enhance your 4-H Healthy Living conceptual understanding and skills;
- Network with peers and healthy living leaders around the nation;
- Play a leadership role in moving forward the 4-H Healthy Living mission
- Enhance your professional development opportunities
- Increase your knowledge and skills for implementing and managing 4-H Healthy Living programs.
Prepared by National 4-H Healthy Living Youth Ambassadors: Rachel Fay, Lynzee Flores, Danielle Newman, Sean Russell and Andrea Vessel